About Dr. John Thoppil
Dr. John Thoppil founded and leads River Place OB/GYN. He is nationally known and has been featured in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, CBS national news, and many state publications such as the Dallas Morning News and Texas Monthly.
Clinically he is a pioneer in the field. He was the first in Texas to perform in-office uterine removal (MYOSURE) and the first in the state to perform the SONATA procedure in the office for the treatment of fibroids.
He has among the lowest cesarean section rates in the state (NTSV rate for 2022 11%). Our practice routinely takes care of high-risk women, including older mothers, and fertility patients.
Dr. Thoppil is a leader in the field. He is a past President of the Texas Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He is the current Department Chair of Ob/Gyn at St. David’s North Austin Medical Center, the busiest maternity hospital in Central Texas.
Dr.Thoppil completed his undergraduate degree at Texas A&M University and his medical degree at the Baylor College of Medicine, one of the premier medical schools in the country. He did his OB/GYN training at the Air Force’s flagship medical center, Wilford Hall, at Lackland AFB. Dr. Thoppil served his country as a physician in the Air Force prior to returning to his home state of Texas in 2008.
He is married to Dr. Nimmi Thoppil and has one son, John Jr. He loves cars, golf, and Aggie Football.
Watch an introductory video from Dr. Thoppil here.
DR. THOPPIL’S EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Past President, Texas Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Department Chair, OBGYN, St. David’s North Austin Medical Center
- Austin Monthly Top Doctors 2015-present
- Texas Monthly Super Doctors 2019-present
- Texas A&M University College Station – BS Biochemistry, Magna Cum Laude,
- Foundation Honors, University Honors
- Baylor College of Medicine – Ob/Gyn Student of the Year
- Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB (Residency) – Academic Award
winner each year
- Board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Here are just some of the insurance we accept. To find out if your insurance is accepted, give our office a call!
We are here to help